Williams and Woods site acquisition
Keating pressed for funds to enable Dublin City VEC to acquire the Williams and Woods site; Tunney said no VEC proposal was before his Department and he knew of no informal approach. Keating and Barry questioned whether discussions had occurred, while the Minister stood by his account; later questions were postponed.
asked the Minister for Education if he will make available as a matter of urgency adequate funds to either the Dublin City VEC or AnCO in order to purchase the Williams and Woods site; and whether he has had any requests from either the VEC or AnCO or the IDA for such moneys.
Comment on this
I have no responsibility in relation to AnCO. In the case of the City of Dublin VEC I am not aware of any proposal from them to my Department for such a purchase.
Comment on this
That reply is unsatisfactory. Does the Minister agree there has been discussion at some level with his Department concerning the future of the site in question and that there is a great need for this site in order to enhance the opportunities of Dublin VEC students and others in the area? Would he tell us honestly what the position is—I think he knows more than he has told us?
Comment on this
I can appreciate the Deputy's suggestion that the factual information given is not satisfactory, but the factual information given arises from the question tabled by the Deputy. If the Deputy is seeking other information an appropriate question should have been tabled.
Comment on this
Is the Minister aware that there is considerable interest in the possibility of the site being acquired by the City of Dublin VEC?
Comment on this
Would the Minister not be willing to encourage that interest of the VEC by giving them a sympathetic response in regard to the provision of money for the purchase of that site by the VEC? Might I finally ask the Minister if at no level in his Department interest has been expressed in the possibility of getting this site acquired?
Comment on this
I repeat there is no proposal in the Department at the moment from the VEC in respect of the purchase of that site.
Comment on this
Would the Minister agree that in a matter of this kind there are two kinds of approach made to the Department—one an informal discussion to see what the attitude will be and, if the attitude is sympathetic, then a formal application? Would the Minister agree with that?
Comment on this
I do not think the Minister is trying to mislead the House, but will the Minister say if an informal application was made about this site?
Comment on this
I should tell Deputy Horgan that Questions Nos. 26, 27 and 28 are being answered together and, if the Deputy wishes Nos. 26 and 27 postponed, does he also wish No. 28 postponed?