Ceisteanna—Questions. Oral Answers. - County Waterford National School.
asked the Minister for Education the up-to-date position regarding the provision of a new national school or an elaborate extension to the existing building at Fenor, County Waterford.
23.
Comment on this
asked the Minister for Education when work will commence on the proposed extension to Fenor national school, County Waterford.
Comment on this
With the permission of the Ceann Comhairle, I propose to take Questions Nos. 22 and 23 together.
I understand that, before the proposed site extensions could be accepted and a sketch scheme proposed, it would be necessary to confirm that a way-leave could be obtained to an adjoining stream. The approval of the medical officer for the connection of a filter to the system was also required.
Confirmation of the way-leave has recently been received but the medical officer's approval for the proposal for the connection of a filter is still awaited.
Comment on this
How up to date is the Minister's information? I framed this question about two months ago and I wish to know if the reply is more recent than that.
Comment on this
I have a letter from the chairman of the board dated 8 October telling me that the leave has been obtained.
Comment on this
That is when the question was framed. Would the Minister give an up to date report on the position?
Comment on this
Will the Minister take a personal interest in this school, which, although comparatively new, is structurally unsound and needs to be replaced or extended due to vast overcrowding? The Board of Works do not seem to be able to make up their minds which of these options to take.
Comment on this
Has a decision been taken by the Department about the advisability of a new school or an extension? This matter has been outstanding for about three years. Is the Minister aware that until that decision is taken neither the school nor the extension can be built?
Comment on this
The Deputy will appreciate that a site extension is necessary one way or the other and we had to clear the way on both of those grounds, the way-leave and the medical side.
Comment on this
Have the Department yet reached a conclusion whether a new school or an extension is desirable?
Comment on this
Will the Minister contact both Deputy Deasy and myself in relation to that decision, which is crucial if we are to have an advance on any front?
Comment on this
Will the Minister accept that, as Deputy Deasy said, the existing school is structurally unsound and is substandard? In that context will the Minister consider that this decision meet priority considerations?