We use Google Analytics to see which pages are read and how the site is used, so we know what to improve. This only runs if you accept. See our privacy notice for details.

Dáil
‹ Ceisteanna—Questions. Oral Answers. - Herring Fishing.

Celtic Sea Herring Fishery Reopening

Summary

Whether the Celtic Sea fishery would reopen in 1980 depended on scientific advice about stock levels and a subsequent EEC decision; the Minister expected a decision around June or July, later suggesting Council consideration in September. Compensation remained subject to separate EEC approval, and the Minister said he would raise its timing at the next opportunity.

asked the Minister for Fisheries and Forestry if the Celtic Sea will be open to Irish boats for fishing in the 1980 season and if not, if compensation will be paid to Irish herring fishermen and the amount involved.

Comment on this

A decision on whether or not the Celtic Sea herring fishery will re-open this year must await the 1980 scientific recommendations of the International Council for the Exploration of the Sea which are expected to be available by the end of June. The EEC Commission proposals on compensation for fishermen have not yet been adopted and I am not therefore in a position to say at this stage whether compensation will be payable in the event of the closure of the herring fishery having to be continued.

Comment on this

Am I wrong in thinking that the survey has not been finalised? My information is that it has and that the Department of Fisheries have the data at present and that a decision should be made straight away?

Comment on this

The herring and larval survey by Irish scientists has been finalised and presented in Copenhagen. The scientists there will make a recommendation which will have to be translated into further action by the EEC Commission. The reason for the restrictions is based on the fact that scientists reported that stocks had decreased to 6,000 tons in the Celtic Sea. We have reason to believe that that amount has recruited itself. Whether it is up to the limit or threshold needed to allow fishing or not, we will have to wait for the combined opinion of the scientists in the EEC.

Comment on this

Is it the position that a definite decision will be taken?

Comment on this
Joseph Brennan An Ceann Comhairle Fianna Fáil

Question No. 10.

Comment on this

A definite decision will be made this year, hopefully—I am only making an educated guess—by the end of June or July.

Comment on this
Joseph Brennan An Ceann Comhairle Fianna Fáil

I wish the Minister would not reply except when the Chair has given permission for the question to be asked.

Comment on this

I will obey your instructions religiously from now on, Sir.

Comment on this
Joseph Brennan An Ceann Comhairle Fianna Fáil

Asking and answering question across the floor in contempt of the Chair does not impress me.

Comment on this

Is the Minister aware that it is important that this decision be made in June and will he tell the House that it will be?

Comment on this

I am so aware.

Comment on this

When is it expected that the decision on the payment of compensation will be made?

Comment on this

The matter with regard to the opening of the Celtic Sea and 6A will be considered by the Council of Ministers probably in September. I may have misled the House when I said June. The matter of compensation will be considered as soon as the Council of Ministers and the Commission come up with their decision in the matter.

Comment on this

When is that expected?

Comment on this

I will raise it on the next occasion that I get an opportunity.

Comment on this