River Nanny drainage
The Minister said drainage was being reconsidered because of concerns about Tuam’s water supply, and that discussions were under way to ensure the new supply would not be affected. He said the scheme was now technically possible, was being expedited, and might not need to return to the priority list, but gave no funding commitment.
asked the Minister for Finance the present position in relation to the drainage of the River Nanny, County Galway.
15.
Comment on this
asked the Minister for Finance the plans the Government have in relation to the drainage of the River Nanny at Tuam, County Galway.
Comment on this
I propose to take Question Nos. 14 and 15 together.
I am having the question of draining the Nanny River re-examined in the light of developments since the remainder of the Corrib-Clare catchment drainage scheme was completed some years ago.
Comment on this
I do not know how to deal with the question of re-examination because I am somewhat wary of that word. In view of the fact that engineers from Galway County Council and the Office of Public Works have agreed that the drainage is feasible — and I have this in writing from the Minister's predecessor — can the Minister now tell me whether the checked surveys are now with the Department of Finance and if the necessary money will be provided to complete this drainage, because we are talking about a scheme that has to be completed, not a new one?
Comment on this
The Nanny river is in the Corrib-Clare catchment, a scheme which, under the Arterial Drainage Act of 1945, was carried out between the years 1954 and 1964. The river Nanny was included in the scheme, as confirmed by the Minister for Finance. But, because of the possibility of damage being caused to the Tuam waterworks by silt, the work projected did not go ahead at that time. That scheme ended in 1964. While the scheme was still in progress Galway County Council indicated that a new water supply was being considered. When, in 1964, all other works on the drainage scheme were completed and there was no prospect of an early decision on the proposed new water supply, a certificate of partial completion was issued for the Corrib/Clare scheme.
Comment on this
Would the Minister not accept that when the Corrib scheme finished officially in 1964 part of the Nanny river was drained at that time? Would he not agree that it is now time the Office of Public Works did something about it? Is the Minister further aware that there is now an alternative water supply in operation in Tuam and that there is nothing stopping the Office of Public Works from going ahead and completing these drainage works? Might I ask the Minister also whether this drainage scheme has to go back on the priority list or, with the goodwill of his offices, can it be done without being replaced on the priority list?
Comment on this
The Galway County Council completed the installation of a new water supply for the town of Tuam earlier this year. That is when it was done. The council are in discussion with the Commissioners of Public Works to ensure that the new water supply will not be affected by the drainage scheme. A decision as to whether or not to proceed with the drainage of the Nanny river will have to await the final outcome of the deliberations.
Comment on this
The Minister of State said the waterworks have been completed. I have it in writing from his predecessor, as I said earlier, that it would be feasible to do this drainage and will he provide the money now to drain the Nanny?
Comment on this
I understand from recent information I have received that this is technically possible now.
Comment on this
May I be allowed to reply? I am doing my best to be helpful. The major scheme in that area finished in 1964, a scheme of which the Nanny was originally part. I cannot accept responsibility for delay now since I have only been four months in office. There was considerable delay in carrying out this scheme and I have explained the reasons for that delay. I understand as a result of discussions with the county council that the scheme is now technically possible and am expediting this river drainage to the utmost of my ability. I do not think it will be necessary to put it on a list again. That is definite. I understand the problems of the people in the area.