We use Google Analytics to see which pages are read and how the site is used, so we know what to improve. This only runs if you accept. See our privacy notice for details.

Dáil
‹ Ceisteanna—Questions. Oral Answers. - Cork-Britain Ferry Service.

Cork–Britain ferry service

Summary

The Minister said B & I’s financial position and options were still under consideration; ending the Cork service was among the extreme possibilities, but no decision had been made. He had received no proposal to change the British terminus and agreed an early decision was desirable once the facts and board’s proposal were clear.

asked the Minister for Transport if he has yet made a decision on the future of the B & I Ferry service from Cork to Britain in line with the case which was made recently by the deputation from Cork.

Comment on this

The financial position of the B & I Company is still under consideration in my Department. I can assure the Deputy that the views put forward by the deputation led by the Lord Mayor of Cork will be fully taken into account in the examination of the company's affairs and in any decisions taken to ease the financial position of the company.

Comment on this

Is the cancellation of the ferry service from Cork to Britain under consideration?

Comment on this

As I have indicated, no decisions have been taken with regard to any of the services of B & I. The Deputy can be assured that it is most unlikely that anything along the lines suggested in his supplementary question will happen.

Comment on this

Will the Minister accept that as part of the proposals to B & I one of the options to be considered is the stopping of the service from Cork?

Comment on this

A whole range of options are available to B & I from the most extreme to the most moderate. Obviously, of the most extreme set of options, which are not necessarily the most acceptable, the termination of the service would be one.

Comment on this

Is the Minister aware that the uncertainty about the line is affecting badly the bookings for the coming season? Is he aware also that there is a proposal within his Department to switch the service from Pembroke to Fishguard? What is his attitude to it?

Comment on this

I have no information with regard to the current level of bookings, but I would be surprised to find that bookings for next summer were taking place already. I have heard of dissatisfaction with regard to the terminus on the far side, but no proposals have been made to me with regard to changing termini.

Comment on this

Would the Minister accept that, because of the uncertainty over this and the publicity it has had, it is quite likely that it will affect bookings if an early decision in this matter is not taken?

Comment on this

I agree with the Deputy about the desirability of taking an early decision and he can be assured that, as soon as the facts are sufficiently clear to me and the board are in a position to come with a positive proposal, an early decision will be taken.

Comment on this