Gael-Scoil Inse Chór building site
Mac Giolla sought a construction start date and a September building for the school, noting its years of temporary sites and bus transport for 110 pupils. Creed said the OPW survey and report were still pending, could not give a timeline, and promised to re-examine the matter; the next question was postponed.
den Aire Oideachais cathain a chuirfear tús le tógáil an fhoirgnimh do Ghael-Scoil Inse Chór ar an suíomh i nDroichead na hInse agus an bhfuil sé ar aigne aici foirgneamh a chur ar fáil don scoil i mí Mheán Fómhair.
Comment on this
Faoi mar a dubhradh mar fhreagra ar cheisteanna Parlaiminte ar 15 Iúil 1982, chuir an tAire Airgeadais suíomh in aice Pháirc an Fhionnuisce ar fáil do Ghael-Scoil Inse Chór. Tá suirbhé déanta ag Coimisineírí na nOibreacha Poiblí den suíomh seo chun oiriúnacht na talún do thógáil a mheas agus tá torthaí an tsuirbhé á scrúdú ag na coimisineírí faoi láthair. Nuair a bheidh an scrúdú seo críochnaithe, cuirfidh na coimisineírí tuairisc iomlán faoi bhráid mo Roinne. Ní féidir a rá cathain a cuirfear tús le tógáil.
Maidir le foirgneamh a chur a fáil don scoil i mí Mhéan Fhómhair tá an scoil ag feidhmiú faoi láthair i gcóiríocht sealadach agus níl aon eolas tugtha don Roinn ag an mBord Bainistíochta go mbeidh deacrachtaí ó thaobh cóiríochta acu don scoil bhliain 1983-84.
Comment on this
Ní doigh liom go bhfuil an freagra sin i gceart inniu. B'fhéidir go raibh sé i gceart seachtain nó cúpla seachtain ó shin. De réir an eolais atá agamsa tá an suirbhé seo críochnaithe ag Oifig na nOibreacha Poiblí agus go bhfuil sé ar ais anois sa Roinn Oideachais. An fíor sin?
Comment on this
If the Deputy does not mind, perhaps the experts will give the information in English. I am sorry, but that is not the information at my disposal. If the Deputy has information to that effect, I would be very pleased to receive it.
Comment on this
A Cheann Comhairle, tá a fhios ag an Aire agus ag an Teach cad é díreach atá á rá agam.
My understanding is that when a Deputy puts down a question — and I am open to correction on this because I am not used to the procedures of the House — he gets the most up-to-date information, not information which would have been available to anybody last week or the week before, but today's information in the Department of Education. My understanding from information received from the Board of Works is that they completed a survey in regard to this site and returned it yesterday to the Department of Education. I do not know the result of the survey, but had hoped that the Minister would be able to give me up-to-date information on the position. Can the Minister not do this?
Comment on this
My information is that on 18 October 1982 the Office of Public Works wrote to the Department stating that it would be necessary to carry out a survey to find out if the site at the Phoenix Park extension would be suitable for building purposes. A report from the county engineer is being examined in the Office of Public Works at present and they will report to my Department when this examination has been completed. That is my up-to-date information on the subject matter of this question. If the Deputy has any further information to give me, I will certainly pursue the matter further and inform the Deputy of my findings.
Comment on this
Is the Minister aware of the great difficulties that this all-Irish school has been experiencing for four or five years, that they have been moving from one temporary site to another — that they are at present in Templeogue and last year and the year before were in Crumlin? They have been shifting about from place to place and have to provide a bus service for 110 pupils to these different sites in order to make available to them an all-Irish school. Have the Government made a final decision? If so, it would be of interest to the public to know what that decision is. If the Government have taken a final decision it would be of interest to the public to know what is their position, if it is that they have no longer any interest in the Irish language, or in all-Irish schools. But if they have an interest and if they have a site would the Minister say if they could make available temporary accommodation on this site for September next, which is the second part of my question?
Comment on this
I can give the Deputy an assurance that I will have the matter examined again in the light of the information available to me. I am awaiting this report from the Office of Public Works. I am aware of the history of the school and of the difficulties involved. I should say to the Deputy that I have an interest in the Irish language. I may not be very fluent myself but certainly I have an interest. I will have another look at the matter at this stage. But that is all the information I have at my disposal.