Tallaght rail link approval
The Minister said no decision had been made: CIE considered it untimely to seek approval for electrification, and he had asked for alternative transport proposals before deciding. Deputies stressed Tallaght’s transport needs and potential job losses; the Minister cited the project’s cost and CIE’s finances while promising to consider all options.
asked the Minister for Transport when approval will be given for the proposed rail link to Tallaght, County Dublin.
15.
Comment on this
asked the Minister for Transport if he is aware of the statement of the general manager of CIE to the effect that if there is a delay in granting Government approval for the construction of the proposed new electrified rail system to Tallaght, County Dublin, the staff who have been employed hitherto on the Howth/Bray line will become redundant, thereby causing serious effects on employment in various subsidiary fields across the country; and if he will make a statement on the matter.
16.
Comment on this
asked the Minister for Transport if CIE have sought approval from the Government for the construction of the proposed new electrified rail system to Tallaght, County Dublin; and, if so, if a decision will shortly be made on the matter.
17.
Comment on this
asked the Minister for Transport if the Government has sanctioned the provision of a new railway line from Tallaght town centre to a new suburban station situated at Heuston Station, Dublin; and, if not, when it is proposed to do so.
Comment on this
I propose to take Questions Nos. 14 to 17 inclusive together.
I am currently in consultation with the CIE Board in relation to the question of public transport services for the Tallaght area, and I am not yet in a position to make a statement in the matter.
Comment on this
Is the Minister not aware that a city having been set up in Tallaght of 80,000 population, there is no adequate transportation system? This matter is urgent and requires information from the Minister so that the people there will know what the position is. Secondly, will the Minister not agree that on the completion of the Howth-Bray line the staff that had been employed there will become redundant, with large-scale unemployment implications if they are not taken up, as logically they should be, to provide a rail link for the city of Tallaght?
Comment on this
May I tell the Deputy that I am acutely aware of the transport problems of Tallaght and other areas near to it? In relation to the question of those working on the Howth-Bray electrification line becoming redundant, I am also aware of that fact. However, I have to say to the House that the costs of the Howth-Bray electrification are one reason for us to reflect with great care on whether or not proposals for an electrified line from Tallaght are economically viable or possible.
Comment on this
Is the Minister saying that because of overcosting or whatever on the Howth-Bray line, 80,000 people in Tallaght are to be left without an adequate transportation system? Has an application been made to the Government from CIE for approval for this project and, if so, on what date was that application received and when might it be dealt with?
Comment on this
I have been informed by the Board of CIE that they do not think it timely to continue with the proposals regarding electrification. I have asked them to submit what alternative proposals they have for Tallaght before I come to a decision on the matter. My department are awaiting a reply from CIE as to their alternative proposals for transport for Tallaght.
Comment on this
Is it true that property on part of that route has been acquired already for that rail development? Would the Minister tell the House when exactly CIE changed their minds about the Tallaght line?
Comment on this
I understand that some of the land has been acquired although I am not certain to what extent. In a letter dated 13 October to my Department, CIE informed us that their board were of the view that the time was not opportune to proceed with a formal request to approve the necessary capital requirement.
Comment on this
I am sure the Minister will agree that this is a most unsatisfactory position. It appears now that the whole question of viability is being raised. Could the Minister say if CIE are now unsure about going ahead with an electrified rail? Is it still intended to go ahead with a normal rail link to Tallaght town centre?
Comment on this
The position is that I am considering all aspects of transport services to and from Tallaght. I have asked CIE for their opinion on alternative modes of transport to and from Tallaght and I hope to be in receipt of those views before too long. I also hope to come to a conclusion as quickly as possible.
Comment on this
Would the Minister agree that the timeliness or otherwise of this project should not be a matter for determination by CIE but that it should be determined by the Government in the interests of 80,000 people who vitally need a reasonable transportation system?
Comment on this
The Deputy is right but the board of CIE decided it was not timely for them to decide. I have already stated that I will make the decision having considered all the transport possibilities for the Tallaght area. It is only fair to point out that the cost of electrification is so enormous that there are many people who now doubt the wisdom of proceeding with that venture. The servicing of borrowing for that purpose is going to add greatly to CIE's difficulties in the future and also to their deficit.