Moneypoint third generating unit
The Minister said the third unit was under departmental review, with a decision expected within months and existing generating capacity among the considerations. Enright challenged reports that work was continuing despite an earlier direction to stop and pressed for action against the ESB chief executive; the Minister said he would investigate the interview and maintained that the direction remained in force. Members also asked who was conducting the review and whether the Minister could control the ESB, but no decision on the unit was announced.
asked the Minister for Energy if stage 3 of the ESB station at Moneypoint will not be proceeded with in view of the effect it will have on existing generating stations.
Comment on this
The completion of the third unit at Moneypoint has been under review in my Department. I am considering the results of that review and I expect that a decision on the matter will be taken at an early date.
The decision involves a number of complex issues and all relevant considerations, including any implications there may be for existing generating capacity, will be taken into account.
Comment on this
Did the Minister hear the interview on Radio Éireann today with the Chief Executive, Mr. Moriarty, who stated that he was continuing with the completion of the third stage of Moneypoint? Mr. Moriarty stated he had not been instructed not to proceed with the third stage and that he is prepared to go ahead with it.
Comment on this
The answer to the first part of the marathon question is "No, I did not hear the interview." In the circumstances I would find it very difficult to make any comment, but I will investigate the circumstances of the interview.
Comment on this
If what I have stated is correct, and it is, does the Minister intend to take any action against that official?
Comment on this
We are entering into hypotheses. The position is as I have stated — it is under review, the results will be considered and a decision will be taken.
Comment on this
Although the Minister has not given a direction the CEO has taken it on himself to continue with the work on the third stage while he is awaiting a decision from the Government.
Comment on this
Will the Minister direct the chief executive officer not to proceed further with this work in view of the serious implications and the overall cost of the third and fourth phases, but particularly the third phase?
Comment on this
That direction was given more than 12 months ago and I am sure it applies to this very day.
Comment on this
If such a direction has issued, does the Minister intend to take action against the chief executive officer?
Comment on this
In my view this means the chief executive officer is flagrantly disobeying a directive from the Minister for Energy. Does the Minister intend taking any action against him for flouting that directive?
Comment on this
In my first reply I said I had not heard the interview but I gave an assurance that I would make it my business to find out the contents of the interview to which the Deputy referred.
Comment on this
Arising out of the Minister's initial reply, can he tell us who is carrying out this review? Is it the same body who are carrying out the review on the proposed peat briquette factory at Ballyforan, and when will a decision be made?
Comment on this
The review will be carried out by the technical division of my Department and obviously some personnel will be involved in both reviews.
Comment on this
From his reply did I understand the Minister to say that he can exercise control over the working of the ESB?
Comment on this
I understand from the Minister's reply that he can exercise that control because he gave them certain instructions some months ago. It is generally perceived that this——
Comment on this
Does the Minister not think it is his duty to utilise that control and exercise it now?
Comment on this
In view of the very serious nature of the situation, with your permission, Sir, I wish to raise it on the Adjournment.