State participation in Knock Airport
The Minister said the Government would provide no further funds and was negotiating arrangements to withdraw, while seeking to protect taxpayers’ interests. He could not promise repayment of grants except if specified contingencies, such as an early sale, arose.
asked the Minister for Communications the stake the State will have in the company established to run Knock airport, County Mayo.
Comment on this
As already announced, the Government have decided to withdraw from further participation in the affairs of the Connaught Airport Development Company and suitable arrangements to give effect to this decision are under consideration at the moment.
Comment on this
What does "withdrawing from further participation" mean? Does it mean withdrawing State directors from the company? Does it mean withdrawal of any equity participation in the company?
Comment on this
As I said, this matter is under consideration at the moment. The Government announced their decision that there would be no further State funds available for the Connaught Regional Airport project. I have been approached by the board of the company following that decision to see if we could leave it to them to continue the project. I have made it clear that I will be as helpful as possible in that regard but the details have yet to be worked out and I hope they will be worked out in the near future.
Comment on this
Is there any precedent for the Government withdrawing from participation in a private company in which an enormous amount of taxpayers' money has been invested, and having no influence on the future direction of, or no equity participation in the company? Is the Minister aware that even in the disastrous Bula operation where £10 million of taxpayers' money was paid over, at least the Government had a major stake in the company? Is there any precedent for withdrawal on this scale from a company to which so much taxpayers' money has been given?
Comment on this
I cannot be sure that there is not a precedent but I am not aware of one. Everyone will recognise that the decision on Connaught Regional Airport set a precedent in itself. State funds were allocated for the project against all technical advice. Nevertheless, I must say that I admire very much the energy and enthusiasm of the people who promoted this project and I do not intend to stand in their way. I cannot anticipate the final arrangements which will be made between myself and the company but I hope to be in a position to clarify this situation very shortly.
Comment on this
Would the Minister confirm for Deputy Mac Giolla that the proper title of the airport is the Connaught Regional Airport? Would he not agree that this airport, once finished and operational, will be a useful instrument for the development of the community in this area which is underdeveloped?
Comment on this
The name of the company promoting the airport is the Connaught Regional Airport Development Company, sometimes known as Knock airport. I do not think that matters a lot. The studies into this matter in advance of the decision made were not favourable to the project. All the indications were that from a technical point of view the project will not succeed. However, given the energy which has been put into this project by the people concerned, I hope they will succeed.
Comment on this
Would the Minister agree that a reasonable time has elapsed since the company made representations last October with a view to seeking the Minister's permission to get the necessary funding to complete the airport? Would he also agree that it is reasonable to expect that the promise he gave in the intervening period would now be honoured? When does he propose to make the necessary information available to the company? Would he agree that it is incorrect to say that the technical evidence was totally contrary when the first decision was taken? There were grey areas as regards the technical difficulties, but there was a clear indication that if certain matters worked out favourably it could be a viable project.
Comment on this
To say there were grey areas is to put it at its best. I have recently written to the chairman of the company and, arising from that correspondence, I hope my Department and the company will be able to bring to a satisfactory conclusion the discussions on the future arrangements in relation to the State's investment.
Comment on this
In the arrangements which are not yet completed, can the Minister assure the House that the interests and the rights of the taxpayer will be protected? This is a commercial company. Will the Minister ensure that repayments are made for the taxpayers' money which has been invested in this company?
Comment on this
I can give the Deputy an assurance that I and the Government will seek to protect the interests of the taxpayers. That is what motivated our decision to withdraw from the company. I cannot give the Deputy a commitment that we will ask for repayments from this company because that is not my intention unless certain contingencies arose, such as the sale of the airport or site within the first 20 years. These arrangements have not been finalised but that is the direction in which we are going.