We use Google Analytics to see which pages are read and how the site is used, so we know what to improve. This only runs if you accept. See our privacy notice for details.

Dáil
‹ Ceisteanna—Questions. Oral Answers. - Swords (Dublin) National School Extension.

River Valley school extension

Summary

Kenny outlined the next steps: agreeing the local contribution, preparing working drawings and inviting tenders. He and Burke disputed whether planning permission was holding up the project; Kenny said the revised roof design required a new application, confirmed this followed professional advice, and promised no undue delay. Burke remained dissatisfied and sought to raise the matter on the Adjournment.

Deputy Owen's point was made perfectly clear to me at a deputation I met on 17 September last and she can take it that priority is being given to this case because we regard it as very urgent. The Department expect to be in consultation with the chairman within a fortnight in regard to the level of the local contribution. It is then up to the chairman's architect to prepare the working drawing, subsequent to which the bill of quantities can be prepared, tenders invited and contracts placed.

Comment on this
Ray Burke Mr. R. Burke Fianna Fáil

The Minister of State gave the impression that the holdup was due to a planning delay in the local authority. Will the Minister of State confirm that there is full planning permission for a permanent extension and that the delay is as a result of the Department deciding to change the pitch of the roof? The school could be under way now if the present plans had been accepted.

Comment on this

That is completely untrue. The Deputy is well aware of what was involved in this case.

Comment on this
Ray Burke Mr. R. Burke Fianna Fáil

Full planning permission is available for that site.

Comment on this

Not in respect of the building now proposed.

Comment on this
Ray Burke Mr. R. Burke Fianna Fáil

The Minister is well aware that the manager wants the school to be built and there is no point in implying that he is holding up the level of the local contribution. Everybody in the area wants it and it was promised for September 1987 but the Minister said that this may not be the case.

Comment on this

I said I could not give a commitment as to the availability of the accommodation on the precise date required. I am sure that Deputy Burke, in his capacity as Chairman of Dublin County Council, will see to it that there will be no difficulties with planning permission in that regard.

Comment on this

Will the Minister confirm that the reason for a new planning application is that a design fault has been found in the original building and the school's architect has advised that a new shaped roof should be installed for the benefit of pupils and teachers alike?

Comment on this

That is correct.

Comment on this
Ray Burke Mr. R. Burke Fianna Fáil

The people in River Valley are suffering.

Comment on this

The reason for the change in design arose as a result of discussions between professional people. I am not competent to talk professionally in that regard. I do not expect any difficulties in relation to planning permission and, when the Department have been in contact with the chairman regarding the level of local contributions, the architect can then proceed with working drawings. I am sure there will be no undue delay.

Comment on this
Ray Burke Mr. R. Burke Fianna Fáil

Why has the Minister not been in touch with him before now?

Comment on this

I am in daily contact with people from River Valley.

Comment on this
Ray Burke Mr. R. Burke Fianna Fáil

In view of the unsatisfactory nature of the reply I wish to raise this matter on the Adjournment.

Comment on this
Thomas J. Fitzpatrick An Ceann Comhairle Fine Gael

I will communicate with the Deputy.

Comment on this