Williamstown school extension
The Minister said capital constraints prevent approval for now, but discussions continue on a lower-cost scheme; he promised eventual sanction without giving a date. Naughten disputed the account of past discussions and urged the Minister to review the case.
asked the Minister for Education when she will sanction an extension to Williamstown national school, County Galway; and when work will commence.
Comment on this
Because of the pressures on the capital available to my Department in 1988 for the national schools building programme, I am not in a position to approve the placing of the contract for the proposed extension to Williamstown National School, County Galway. Discussions have been taking place with the school authorities and are continuing, to establish whether it would be possible for the scheme to proceed in a modified way having regard to the overall financial constraints. I will keep the Deputy advised of any developments in this regard.
Comment on this
Is the Minister aware that discussions have been taking place between the Department and the board of management of that school for the last seven or eight years with regard to the type of extension required there? Eventually, some two years ago when they did agree on the type of extension, it was held up for financial reasons. Does the Minister realise the vital importance of this extension for that school and that they have been waiting for it for eight years?
Comment on this
Whatever about discussions that took place in the period previous to our taking over in Government, I can assure the Deputy that discussions are now taking place with a view to this project going ahead. I would suggest that if discussions were going on for seven years prior to that it was with a view to delaying matters. As the Deputy is aware, we have taken initiatives to reduce construction costs with a view to having this and other projects proceed at a much lower cost. I am happy with the progress that has taken place with those discussions and as soon as they are complete we will have a decision on the type of building which will proceed in Williamstown.
Comment on this
Have I heard the Minister correctly? Is he correct in stating that discussions are taking place with a view to reducing the overall cost of this project? That is exactly what the discussions were about for a number of years and it was the Department who was forcing on the board of management a far greater extension than they wanted. The reverse of what the Minister has said is the case.
Comment on this
I would appeal to the Minister to go back and examine the files in this particular case and to examine them in detail with a view to having this extension——
Comment on this
The result of the policy which the Deputy has outlined accurately was that an eight-year delay existed in regard to the construction of those school projects when we took office. We have attempted to reduce the construction costs and, in actual fact, we have succeeded in having reductions of up to 50 per cent in costs, which means that even with less money we can proceed with many more projects than was the case up to now. We are making positive progress with regard to this project and I would expect to have——
Comment on this
We will sanction it in due time and I can assure the Deputy it will not take seven or eight years.