Future and possible sale of Irish Life
The Government had made no decision on selling all or part of its Irish Life shareholding; the matter remained under active consideration. The Minister said the Government would consider the information available, including the company’s need for capital restructuring to support expansion, but did not specify what proposals or valuations it had received or the criteria for a decision.
asked the Minister for Finance if he will outline the Government's proposals for the future of Irish Life plc; and if he will make a statement on the matter.
11.
Comment on this
asked the Minister for Finance if the Government has made a decision regarding the sale of (a) all the shares and (b) part of the shares in Irish Life; if so, when the sale will take place; and if he will make a statement on the matter.
Comment on this
I propose to reply to Questions Nos. 2 and 11 together.
No decision has been made on the proposals for the future of Irish Life nor on the possible sale of the Minister's shareholding in the company.
Comment on this
I should like to ask the Minister if it is true that the matter is still under active consideration. Is a decision on the matter imminent? I presume that if a decision had been made we would have heard about it. Has the Minister taken into consideration the dangers of the many suggestions in regard to the selling off of the insurance companies, PMPA and ICI?
Comment on this
The Deputy is extending the scope of the question which refers solely to Irish Life.
Comment on this
The matter is still under active consideration. The second part of the Deputy's question does not arise.
Comment on this
I should like to ask the Minister if, as preparation for the Government's decision, estimates as to the value of the company have been prepared. Will they be made public or placed before the House?
Comment on this
I have read various estimates in the media but I do not think that question will arise until the matter is finally decided by the Government.
Comment on this
May I ask the Minister if the Cabinet has sought a valuation of the company or if a valuation was sought by the previous Cabinet?
Comment on this
The Government will have all of the necessary information before them before they come to a final conclusion.
Comment on this
Has a proposal in the matter been received from the Board of Irish Life and, if so, when? Is this a budgetary matter?
Comment on this
The answer to both questions is no. Irish Life have mentioned publicly on numerous occasions the question of restructuring the company. That information has been conveyed to the Minister through the public statements of Irish Life.
Comment on this
Is the Minister saying that no proposal has been received from the board, other than the Minister taking cognisance of public statements?
Comment on this
We will take into account all matters relating to this question. It is a matter for the Government to decide.
Comment on this
Is the Minister in communication with the board to determine if they have proposals on this matter or is the Minister relying on press reports?
Comment on this
The question does not arise. What we were asked is if the Government have made a decision regarding the sale of assets and, as I said in reply to a supplementary question, that is under active consideration but no decision has been made yet.
Comment on this
I was wondering if it is necessary to get your permission, a Cheann Comhairle, to speak and ask a question but——
Comment on this
——it seems that such a procedure is not necessary. I do not think it is right for the Minister to say, "You are entitled to no information until we make our decision". It is then too late. What we are asking — the public are entitled to know because this is a matter of grave public concern — is what are the criteria under which such decisions will be made. What type of information has the Minister been seeking from Irish Life? Is it the case that if we get £300 million we will sell but if we get only £200 million we will not sell? Is it as simple as that or are other considerations being taken into account, such as the national interest?
Comment on this
All aspects of the matter will be taken into account. I think the Deputy knows that for some time I have been listening to reports from many sources, including at Government level, about the necessity for capital restructuring at Irish Life, mainly to allow them to expand further because of the great expansion that has been undertaken by the company in this market, in the UK market and, to a certain extent, in some US markets but they cannot get into all markets. That question has arisen because of the capital restructuring of the company. That is the issue that must be decided by the Government because they are the major shareholders in the company. As I have said, no decision has been made yet but the matter is under active consideration. All the necessary information regarding any decision that is made by the Government will be made publicly known to all concerned.