We use Google Analytics to see which pages are read and how the site is used, so we know what to improve. This only runs if you accept. See our privacy notice for details.

Dáil
‹ Ceisteanna-Questions. Oral Answers. - Electricity and Gas Interconnectors.

Gas interconnector and offshore gas exports

Summary

Bruton argued that deciding in principle on a gas link could enable offshore exploration by giving Ireland access to a larger export market, and criticised delaying consideration for three years. The Minister said the evidence did not support near-term development, but would reconsider if circumstances changed.

In relation to the Minister's decision to defer the gas connector for three years, it is not the case that if we want to see exploration in our waters, the key barrier at the moment is that we have no ability to export gas? Will he agree that a decision in principle about an interconnector for gas would unlock many of our exploration interests?

Comment on this

If the Deputy's question refers to an interconnector in Northern Ireland——

Comment on this

I am talking about gas.

Comment on this

It has nothing to do with Northern Ireland.

Comment on this

No, it refers to Question No. 41.

Comment on this

In the examination carried out with regard to the possibility of a gas interconnector, all the balance of evidence came down in favour of the ESB interconnector. There is little evidence at this time to support a development in the gas area, certainly in the immediate future. I do not want to convey to the House an impression that this will receive immediate or active consideration, on the basis of the best evidence available to me.

Comment on this

Is it not the case that the European Commission is actively pressing to link Ireland to the European grid? Is it not also the case that we cannot hope to develop our off-shore gas resources if we do not have the capacity to supply more than the limited Irish market?

Comment on this

As I have said, it is too early to go down that road.

Comment on this

The Minister has put off for three years even consideration of the decision in principle. I accept it may be too early to invest but I think the Minister is making an error in putting off for three years further consideration of the issue.

Comment on this

If any evidence should emerge in the meantime which would indicate that an earlier decision would be favourable, we are not confined to sticking with those proposals but there is certainly nothing on the horizon to indicate the possibility of that change.

Comment on this