We use Google Analytics to see which pages are read and how the site is used, so we know what to improve. This only runs if you accept. See our privacy notice for details.

Dáil

Ceisteanna—Questions. Oral Answers. - Amalgamation of Civil Service Grades.

asked the Minister for Finance the present position regarding the amalgamation of the staff officer and executive officer grades in the Civil Service.

37.

Comment on this

asked the Minister for Finance whether the discussions with staff interest in relation to the amalgamation of the staff officer and executive officer grades have concluded; and, if so, when these grades will be amalgamated.

121.

Comment on this

asked the Minister for Finance whether arrangements have been made for the amalgamation of the staff officer and executive officer grades; and, if so, when it will occur.

Comment on this

I propose to take Questions Nos. 10, 37 and 121 together.

Clearly, the amalgamation of the grades in question would involve considerable additional costs for the Exchequer and its implementation would have to be accommodated within budget-ary constraints. In addition, as indicated by my predecessor, it involves a number of personnel, structural and organisational issues of concern to both Civil Service management and staff interests. Discussions with the latter are continuing.

Comment on this

In view of the fact that over 800 staff officers have been waiting patiently for this decision for some time and are being told, I understand, that the order is on the Minister's table awaiting implementation, would the Minister soon make a decision as to whether he intends going ahead with this proposal? It is very unfair to keep these people in suspense for such a long time.

Comment on this

I assure the Deputy that this order is not on my table for approval or signature. If it were, it would not be very long on my table; I would approve it. It is still being discussed between the staff officers' union representatives and others and when it comes out of those negotiations I will gladly deal with it as quickly as possible.

Comment on this

Would the Minister put any time limit on this? Could he say that a decision could be made before the summer of this year?

Comment on this

As soon as the two associations finish their discussions with management and the matter comes to my table I will deal with it expeditiously.

Comment on this

(Limerick East): Could the Minister give us an idea of the total cost per annum of the proposal that has been put to the staff associations?

Comment on this

Approximately £1 million.

Comment on this
Seán Treacy An Ceann Comhairle Independent

A final supplementary question from Deputy Deenihan.

Comment on this

The initial cost would be about £1 million but there would be a long term saving benefit involved, which would balance out that initial cost.

Comment on this

There is the question of cost to be considered on the one hand and the question of negotiations to be finalised between these two associations on the other. As soon as those discussions are out of the way and the matter comes to my table, as I have already said, I will deal with it expeditiously.

Comment on this