Merrell Dow plant at Killeagh
Sherlock questioned the Government’s discussions with Merrell Dow and the reasons the company did not proceed. O’Malley said the meeting aimed to ease community concerns and avoid further disruption, denied any Government decision to withhold support, and confirmed Harney had briefed him orally.
asked the Minister for Industry and Commerce if he will outline the discussions he had with representatives of Merrell Dow, prior to their decision not to proceed with their proposed plant at Killeagh, County Cork; if he requested Merrell Dow to delay the construction of the plant; if he will outline the reasons given to him by Merrell Dow for not going ahead with the plant; and if he will make a statement on the matter.
Comment on this
The Minister for State at the Department of the Environment, Deputy Mary Harney, and I met with senior executives of Merrel Dow Pharmaceuticals Incorporated on 24 August 1989 to discuss the company's proposed manufacturing project at Killeagh, County Cork. While it would be inappropriate for me to comment in detail on the discussions, I can say that my main concern was to endeavour to allay the on-going disquiet among the various community groups involved about the proposed facility with a view to ensuring that the project would proceed without further disruption or delay. I can also state categorically that at no stage during the talks did either my colleague or I request Merrell Dow to delay construction of the plant.
In the first week of September last, the company informed the Industrial Development Authority of its decision not to proceed with the project because of the recent merger between the company and Marion Laboratories, Incorporated, a US pharmaceuticals company. This merger meant that the new combined US company, Marion Merrell Dow Incorporated, would not require the production capacity of the proposed Killeagh project.
The Deputy may recall that at the time of this announcement, I publicly expressed disappointment at the company's decision. In addition, I expressed the Government's on-going support for further investment in the State by foreignbased companies in the sector concerned, subject to their agreement to operate to the highest environmental standards.
Comment on this
Would the Minister agree that the reply he has given, in which he indicated he did not request the company to defer a decision, is the most ambiguous and ambivalent reply ever given in this House to a question? My question is a straightforward one. Would he further agree, given that the application from the industry in question had been approved by the local authority concerned, Cork County Council, and subsequently on appeal to an Bord Pleanála on the advice of Eolas and University College, Cork, that it was inappropriate for the Minister of State to enter into the debate by way of visiting east Cork? Did the Minister receive a report from the Minister of State, and if so, what are the contents of that report? Would the Minister agree——
Comment on this
——that it is a matter of great importance that he give information to this House on a matter of industrial development?
Comment on this
I do not accept that there is anything ambivalent about my reply. It is straightforward and factual. Any information, within reason, that the Deputy wants I am prepared to give. I think I have answered very fully the question he asked.
Comment on this
Did the Minister receive a report from the Minister of State, Deputy Harney, following her visit to east Cork?
Comment on this
I did. The Minister of State gave me an oral account of her visit to that part of east Cork.
Comment on this
It was stated publicly that a report was prepared and put on the Taoiseach's desk at the time. It was subsequently reported publicly that the report was submitted to the Minister.
Comment on this
I discussed it orally with the Minister of State, Deputy Harney, and I believe the Taoiseach did the same.
Comment on this
Could we take it, a Cheann Comhairle, that the report submitted had a bearing on the decision of the Minister, acting on behalf of the Government, not to give his support to the Merrell Dow company, which they sought?
Comment on this
The Government made no such decision. The Government, acting through me, indicated their anxiety to the representatives of Merrell Dow, as I have already made clear to the Deputy, that the project would proceed without further disruption or delay, and my purpose in meeting with the company was to try to allay the ongoing disquiet which existed among various community groups.