Ceann Comhairle resignation and succession
Eamon Gilmore accepts the Ceann Comhairle’s proposed resignation timetable but asks the Taoiseach to support agreement among party leaders on electing a successor.
I welcome the statement by the Ceann Comhairle last night that he intends to resign his office at 2.30 p.m. next Tuesday. I understand he has asked for some time to deal with staff, papers and other issues. It is not unreasonable that he be given that time. The Labour Party has a motion of no confidence in the Ceann Comhairle on the Order Paper. I intend to leave it on the Order Paper and if there is any attempt to take advantage of any changing political circumstances, I will insist that the motion be taken before any other business.
Has the Taoiseach given any consideration to how the House might deal with the election of a new Ceann Comhairle? This is a new set of circumstances; I do not believe there has been a case previously where it was necessary to elect a Ceann Comhairle in the mid-term of a Dáil. Given the necessity to have a Ceann Comhairle who will enjoy the confidence of all sides of the House, would the Taoiseach agree to have a meeting of the leaders of the political parties to discuss the election of a new Ceann Comhairle?
In the context of the necessity to reach agreement on the election of a new Ceann Comhairle, would the Taoiseach also consider the desirability of having agreement on the appointment of a new EU Commissioner? I raised this issue yesterday on the Order of Business. I understand contacts are under way between the Commission and the Government with regard to the nomination of a new EU Commissioner and that it is intended to progress this during the month of October. Will the Taoiseach agree that it would be desirable to consult about the appointment of a new EU Commissioner?
Comment on this
With regard to the announcement by the Ceann Comhairle of his decision to resign, I respect that decision. I respect the fact that it is being done in the interests of this House and the Office of Ceann Comhairle. In light of that decision it is less than seemly to haggle over the arrangements for his early resignation. It is not unreasonable that the Ceann Comhairle should have the opportunity to organise his affairs, including the implications for staff, and to prepare his statement. To impute other motives to his decision to resign next week is, as Deputy Rabbitte observed on the radio earlier this morning, merely cynical. The business of the House should be ordered for next week to provide for the statement to be made by the Ceann Comhairle and the election of a new Ceann Comhairle following his resignation.
Following my parliamentary party meeting discussions involving the Whips and the Ceann Comhairle took place. As would be my practice, I kept the leader of the Green Party advised of developments in those discussions over the course of yesterday evening. The situation was clarified by the Ceann Comhairle's decision to announce his intention to resign next week. That was the course of action he took based on contacts with the Whips and I believe it was the right thing to do. We should allow that to proceed so the dignity of this House and the dignity of the position can be respected and the incumbent is respected in respect of the decision he has reached. It is only fair and right. Perhaps that might be a better way of proceeding given some of the rather unedifying things we have been seeing and hearing in recent times. That is my strong view on the matter.
I believe that answers the first part of the Deputy's question. On the other matter, I hope everybody understands and accepts that the prerogatives of Government apply to this Government as they did with previous Administrations. The filling of that position will receive careful consideration. I told Deputies yesterday that if they have suggestions to make on a private basis, I will consider them. However, the prerogatives of the Government in this matter should be respected in this instance.
Comment on this
I do not disagree with the Taoiseach about the manner in which the resignation of the Ceann Comhairle should proceed. I have already said it is not unreasonable that he be given the time he has sought. My question was in respect of the arrangements for the election of a new Ceann Comhairle. I do not agree that it is the prerogative of the Government; it is a matter for the House to elect a new——