Information on level 5 decision
Ruairí Ó Murchú welcomes the planned debate and wants all relevant information behind the Covid-19 decision-making shared with parties. The Taoiseach says the NPHET letters are published and explains the choice between a graduated response and a full shutdown.
I welcome the fact that there will be a debate about what happened the other day and the decisions that have been made. In fairness, on Sunday everybody became incredibly frightened when they thought we were going straight to level 5. I hope that any information that is not in the public domain and that was known to NPHET and to the Government will be given to all political parties so it could be part of the debate. Obviously, we are incredibly worried about our situation and we would like to think we are looking at a full deck of cards rather than half a deck so we can have a full discussion. We have had the worries about nursing homes and we are still worried about whether all infection control procedures that should have been learned from earlier have been operated. We must ensure this information is available so we can have a full discussion.
Comment on this
There is no other information we do not have.
Comment on this
No. The NPHET letters are published. That is the situation. It is either a graduated response from level to level or one goes the full hog.
The issue on the exponential growth is whether one should close everything down now, with no guarantees at the end of the four weeks, although one would hope that it would come down significantly. The chances are it would come down to some degree but the impact on the economy would be quite enormous. The Deputy referred to the shock for some people. Self-employed people, hairdressers and the like across the board would have been in a really difficult situation. The worry is that we have to plan these things, too. We have to work out the full implications of all of this. We would worry that some people would be permanently out of action as opposed to just being out of action for four weeks.