Glashaboy flood relief delay
Deputy Colm Burke warned that the Glashaboy flood relief scheme may stall because of contractor cost difficulties and asked how to avoid a long delay. Minister Ryan said he would refer it to the relevant Department and minister, and stressed that the matter needs to be prioritised.
There is a report in the Irish Examiner this morning that the Glashaboy flood relief scheme may not proceed, that the current contractor is running into difficulties due to increased costs and that there is no provision under the contracts offered about price variation. What action will be taken to resolve this issue in order that we do not have to go through the entire tender process again and delay it for another 12 months? Will the Minister clarify what the relevant Department is doing on this matter?
Comment on this
I will ask the relevant Department to contact the Deputy. If I understand correctly, this project was tendered and contracted, which raises the question as to whether it might qualify for the variation the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform, Deputy Michael McGrath, brought in recently.
Comment on this
If the contract is not signed, that is the reason. The Office of Public Works, which is the contracting authority, must manage its resource allocations within its budget timelines. However I will pass the issue on to the Minister of State, Deputy O'Donovan-----
Comment on this
The concern is about the 12-month delay. It needs to be prioritised.
Comment on this
I understand fully. I will discuss it with the Minister of State, Deputy O'Donovan.