We use Google Analytics to see which pages are read and how the site is used, so we know what to improve. This only runs if you accept. See our privacy notice for details.

Joint Committee on the Secondary Legislation of the European Communities

Funds for the Joint Committee.

The other item is the question of funds in respect of visits to Brussels. As we have not had any decision so far in this regard we should bring the matter up again. If the Committee approve I will issue a letter along the lines of the draft letter now being circulated.

Comment on this

Have we had any communication in this regard, other than an acknowledgment of receipt of our application?

Comment on this

The Chair has had some verbal communication about the matter. I expect that if we had a trip organised or even in mind, the money might be forthcoming although that has not been said but there is no question of the door being closed.

Comment on this

Presumably what is preventing us from organising such a trip is that we have not got the money to organise it so that we are in a " Catch 22 " situation.

Comment on this

That is one way of looking at it but I would be somewhat apprehensive that there might be another sort of development, that is, that the money could come from a fund but with us having to fight for our share subsequently. This would be a common fund for trips of this kind on interparliamentary business. In such circumstances the situation might not be very satisfactory so we would prefer to have a specific fund for this Committee.

Comment on this

Perhaps you would let us know the position regarding the negotiations.

Comment on this

The Committee have put the case to the Ceann Comhairle who in turn has put it to the Minister for Finance. I expect that a decision one way or the other is imminent and that this item will be either included or not included in the Book of Estimates which will be available shortly. During the summer recess the Department of Finance inquired as to whether the Committee had any immediate trip in mind but we had no such plan then. The question did not arise in this session but there is no question of our proposal having been ignored. I think we should proceed as suggested.

Draft letter agreed.

Comment on this