We use Google Analytics to see which pages are read and how the site is used, so we know what to improve. This only runs if you accept. See our privacy notice for details.

Seanad

Local Government Provisional Order Confirmation Bill, 1953.

I move that the Second Stage of this Bill be not taken to-day.

Comment on this

The Minister has a short explanation to make to the House on this Bill and I wonder would the House be agreeable to hear him?

Comment on this
Michael Hayes Professor Hayes Fine Gael

Can that be done now, Sir, when there is an objection to taking the Second Stage? I do not know what the position is under Standing Orders, and I am merely asking the question.

Comment on this

Is Senator Tunney persisting in his objection?

Comment on this

Yes.

Comment on this

In that case the Bill cannot be now discussed and will have to be postponed.

Comment on this
Patrick Smith Minister for Local Government (Mr. Smith) Fianna Fáil

Can I intervene at all at this point?

Comment on this

I am afraid not.

Comment on this

I do not want to hold up the Bill and I suggest that it can be taken on the soonest possible occasion.

Comment on this

Can we take it to-night?

Comment on this

I have no great interest in this particular measure, but it does not seem right that it should be postponed now and taken later to-night.

Comment on this

What is the procedure? Is a Senator entitled to object and will that be the end of it?

Comment on this
Michael Hayes Professor Hayes Fine Gael

It is, yes.

Comment on this

I suggest that we could take it to-morrow.

Comment on this

I suggest that we suspend Standing Orders, Sir, and have the discussion now.

Comment on this

No, that cannot be done.

Comment on this
Michael Hayes Professor Hayes Fine Gael

It is not only a question of this particular Bill, but the way in which private Bills are dealt with. Under the Standing Orders, if an objection is taken to a Bill, we must postpone it, and we cannot make an exception in this case.

Comment on this

I agree, but I do not think, if it is postponed now, that it would be right to take it to-night.

Comment on this
Michael Hayes Professor Hayes Fine Gael

That is quite right.

Comment on this

If there is a valid objection, then I can see no point in bringing it on again to-night; we should postpone it for a week.

Comment on this

Postpone it to the next meeting of the House.

Comment on this

If it is agreed, we could take the Bill to-night. I suggest that, to meet the objection, we should postpone the Bill for ten minutes and take it then.

Comment on this

Is there agreement that the Bill be postponed until the next sitting of the House?

Comment on this

Would I be permitted to make a short explanation?

Comment on this

That is not possible at this stage.

Second Stage postponed until the next sitting of the Seanad.

Comment on this