Suspension of Standing Orders.
I beg to move the following motion standing in the name of Senator Seumas Robinson:—
That, notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in Standing Orders 79 (1) and 85, the Committee Stage and Report Stage of the Local Loans Fund Bill, 1935, be taken to-day.
Comment on this
In regard to that matter, the whole difficulty is that we have had no time to look at this properly. That is the real fault. If we had the Bill a week ago, we ought to have been able to pass the whole thing to-day. We have had a lot of explanations from the Minister and there has been a good deal of discussion, but there are still some things one does not understand. It seems to me that we have not had time to discuss it properly. After all, we are not going to sit to-morrow. There are all sorts of troubles and difficulties interfering with our meeting the Minister's wishes. I mentioned that there were certain things one did not understand. For instance, take Section 7, sub-section (4). It reads as follows:—
The Minister may by agreement exchange, on such terms and in such manner as he shall think proper (including a payment of money out of the fund), any securities created and issued under this section for any securities the service of which is charged on the Central Fund or any liability or money which is, under the Telephone Capital Acts, 1924 to 1931, dischargeable or payable out of the Central Fund or out of moneys provided by the Oireachtas.
Nobody referred to that during the debate, and I honestly do not know what it means. I am merely mentioning that as an instance. In ordinary times, we would be meeting to-morrow and we could give the Minister his Bill to-morrow. We are all agreed about the Bill, but there are certain things like that which, as an ordinary Senator, I cannot understand, and I have not had an explanation of them. It is the greatest pity in the world that the Minister wants his Bill so much. I do not think it would take more than an hour to discuss it if we had had time to consider it previously.
Comment on this
Would it be possible for us to meet next week, either on Thursday or Friday? I am sensible of what Senator Jameson said—that it is desirable that some time should be given for examination.
Comment on this
There is no real difference of opinion between us. It is the matter of time that is wrong. What is the Minister's suggestion about next week?
Comment on this
Thursday or Friday of next week would suit me, if I get all the stages of the Bill then.
Comment on this
Of course, it is for the House to say, but as far as any of us are concerned, we would be quite willing to do so.
Comment on this
Of course, the motion is to take all the stages of the Bill.
Comment on this
It is hardly worth while postponing the remaining stages. We are all pretty well agreed as to the Bill. There are only a few details that require looking into. After the assurance given by the Minister that it is only a provisional Bill, I think we should accept his word that he really wants the Bill and we should facilitate him as much as possible and let him have the Bill.
Comment on this
If the Committee Stage is taken now I will deal with the various points raised and then the House could satisfy itself as to whether it was necessary to hold the Report Stage over until next week. I assume that amendments are often made on the Report Stage here.
Comment on this
I was going to make the same suggestion. If the Committee Stage were taken, possibly we might then be able to agree unanimously to let the rest of it go through. If serious matters arise in asking questions, we can then decide at the end whether it is necessary to adjourn the further stages.
Comment on this
Then we will allow Senator Quirke to amend his motion to read:—
"That, notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in Standing Orders No. 79 (1) and 85, the Committee Stage of the Local Loans Fund Bill, 1935, be taken to-day,"
and decide later as to the remaining stages.
Comment on this
Yes, and if necessary, allow him to move another motion later on.
Comment on this
Will the Senator amend his motion in that way?
Comment on this
We can decide later about the Report Stage, and I shall allow you to move another motion if necessary.